the jazz authority; random dubiously zappy rants about 'the musicians music'.: Happenings in early 2011

Thursday, February 17, 2011

Happenings in early 2011

Well, I haven't been updating all of my shows here on myspace over the last year, as facebook has proven to be a better way to get the word out about upcoming shows.

Haven't been blogging much either. School and gigs (and family! :) keep me very busy. Here's a bit of an update...

I returned to the Port Theatre in January to perform with Sarah Wood, showcasing excerpts from her show "BC to Broadway". Last year I shared the stage at the Port Theatre with David Gogo. In January I organized a show with Pat Coleman and Ken Lister as a trio in Nanaimo BC. In February I'll be taking my funk band Jellycat back to the Cambie in Nanaimo. I'm also excited about a show this weekend in Victoria BC with the Jaco Pastorius Tribute Band led by Sean Drabitt on bass. Also in that show are Josh Dixon on drums and Brent Jarvis on keys.

I'm hoping to perform at the 2011 Victoria Jazz Festival, showcasing my original music. I was there in 2009 with James McRae's project The Horace Silver Tribute Band, and again in 2010 with jazz vocalist Gillian Stone.

In June of this year I will graduate from Vancouver Island University with Bachelor's Degree in Music. As part of my final recital I will be performing my original music. It's possible that I may take that music into the studio to record my first album. Another option for late 2011/2012 is touring the release of my CD. Taking it across Canada on a festival tour in the summer of 2012 would be a really amazing experience.

So all of that, plus my regular gigs at local restaurants and clubs around Vancouver Island, a baby on the way (our second) and teaching, the day job, keeping grades up... WHEW!

1 comment:

House Painter Melbourne said...

Great content! Keep update.